Favorite Chopped Salad
This easy chopped salad recipe features homemade Italian dressing, crisp vegetables, and Parmesan cheese for the ultimate side dish. Ready in just 20 minutes with huge flavor!

On the lookout for a side salad to accessorize with all your meals? I’m always on the lookout for a great green salad. So might I present, my favorite chopped salad recipe.
It’s classy and tight. It starts with my homemade Italian dressing: tangy, savory, and herby. Add to that shallots, tomatoes, cucumber, and a zing from pepperoncini. Parmesan cheese seals the deal. Every time I serve this to friends or family, they ask for the recipe (no joke!).
Why This Chopped Salad Recipe Works
Without fail, when I serve this salad at a dinner party, people ask: Wow! What’s in this salad? That’s when you know a recipe is a keeper!
I’ve tested countless salad recipes over the years, and this recipe has become a family and reader favorite. The secret is my zesty homemade Italian dressing recipe in combination with just the right mix of crunchy vegetables and pepperoncini. Here’s what some readers have told me:
5 Star Reader Reviews




“I’ve made this salad three times since receiving the email! My family LOVES it. The flavors blend beautifully and the dressing ties it all together.” -Jami




“This is an incredible recipe. The salad dressing is next level!” -Dara




“You’re right! This salad is absolutely delicious. I followed the recipe exactly and would not change a thing. Definitely a new family favorite.” -Marcia
Key Ingredients For The Best Chopped Salad
- Lettuce base: I use 1 romaine heart plus 5 cups leafy lettuce for some texture contrasts. Romaine provides crunch while softer lettuce adds volume.
- Vegetables: I always use English cucumber: I prefer these because they’re essentially seedless and the skin has a mild flavor. I add cherry tomatoes cut in half and one large shallot for subtle onion flavor.
- Flavor enhancers: The key ingredient is jarred sliced pepperoncini for tangy heat, and don’t skip the ripe green olives for briny saltiness and fresh Parmesan cheese shavings. I like Castelvetrano olives for their mild flavor.

Tips For The Dressing
I whisk the dressing by hand using a large whisk in a medium bowl: the bowl size is important to achieve the best emulsion. The key is adding the olive oil tablespoon by tablespoon while whisking continuously. The Dijon mustard in the dressing also helps to emulsify it.
The flavor profile balances tangy white wine vinegar with a touch of maple syrup, plus dried herbs. I often make a double batch because this dressing keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Ways To Serve Chopped Salad
This versatile chopped salad pairs with both weeknight dinners or dinner parties where you want to impress. Some serving ideas:
- Italian favorites: Margherita Pizza, Baked Ziti, and Pasta Puttanesca
- Grilled mains: Grilled Salmon, Grilled Chicken Thighs, and Grilled Red Snapper
- Comfort food dinners: Vegetarian Lasagna with Ricotta, Instant Pot Spaghetti, and Creamy Goat Cheese Pasta
- Light lunches: Caprese Sandwich, Hummus Roll Ups, and Avocado Egg Salad
For a heartier meal, I sometimes turn this into a main dish salad by adding pan seared chicken, hard-boiled eggs, or marinated white beans.

Storage & Make-Ahead Tips
This chopped salad is best served fresh, but I’ve discovered some tricks for meal prep:
Same-day serving: Prepare all vegetables and dressing separately up to 4 hours ahead. Store vegetables covered in the refrigerator and bring dressing to room temperature before assembling.
Meal prep: The individual components keep well for 2-3 days when stored properly. Keep lettuce washed and chopped in a salad spinner, and store other chopped vegetables in separate containers.
Dietary Notes
This chopped salad recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free. For vegan, plant-based, and dairy-free, omit the Parmesan cheese. (It’s still just as tasty!)
Frequently Asked Questions
I use a sharp chef’s knife and aim for ½-inch pieces. Taking your time with prep makes a noticeable difference in the final presentation.
While you can use bottled Italian dressing, I strongly encourage trying the homemade version: it makes this salad special and takes 5 minutes to prep.
Always thoroughly dry your lettuce and add dressing just before serving. If serving at a party, I keep the dressing on the side and let guests add their own.
Favorite Chopped Salad
This chopped salad will amaze everyone around the table! Homemade Italian dressing, veggies and Parmesan cheese combine into one extraordinary salad.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten-Free, Mediterranean Diet, Vegetairan
Ingredients
- 1 recipe Homemade Italian Dressing
- 1 Romaine heart (3 cups)
- 5 cups leafy lettuce
- 1 large shallot
- 1 English cucumber (2 cups chopped)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup ripe green olives, halved
- ½ cup jarred sliced pepperoncini
- ¼ cup Parmesan shavings or shreds, plus more to serve
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
Instructions
- Make the Homemade Italian Dressing.
- Chop romaine and lettuce. Thinly slice the shallot. Peel and chop cucumber. Slice tomatoes and olives in half.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the salad, including the dressing, and toss to combine. If making in advance, refrigerate the components separately; bring the dressing to room temperature before serving.
More Salad Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Make my Easy Arugula Salad, which doesn’t even require a salad dressing
- Go big on greens in my Easy Kale Salad or Kale Caesar Salad
- Make a classic Caesar Salad or Italian Salad
- Browse my top 60 Salad Recipes
from A Couple Cooks
https://ift.tt/y0weQ9C
Sonja Overhiser
September 15, 2026 at 10:23AM
Comments
Post a Comment